Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Detecting Story- Part 4

While the Fisher 1210X was a good detector, I missed the Whites 5000D series 3 that I had owned, so in 1988 not wanting to spend too much but still get a Whites, I got a new 3900DX Pro (#8). I bought it at a small Trading Store 2 miles from my house that had just opened up and was selling Whites detectors, as he was a detector user. The store used to be a Chuck Wagon hambuger joint that had closed up, about 6 years earlier, and the son took over and started a swap/trading store. He had stuff on consignment and jewelry items and a little bit of everything.

I talked him into detecting at some of his spots and I took him to some of my favorite spots with both of us digging some older coins to keep. His shop didn't last too long ( 1 year lease) and he closed up and moved away.

Just like the one I had
I liked the Whites so much about a year later (1989) I traded the Fisher 1210X in on a used Whites 6000 Di (#9) at the older detector shop, and kept the 3900DX Pro as a backup. In late 1989 I changed jobs again and needing some extra cash, sold the 6000 Di, but kept the 3900DX Pro.

I got busy working at my job and didn't have too much time to detect, going out a few times every few months, but still was finding a few old coins in the parks and school yards even though they were getting harder and harder to locate. And as the old saying goes they were----- Few and far between !!!!

In 1992 I wanted a 2nd detector and got a slightly used Whites Coinmaster Classic III (#10) from a dealer up near the big airport here. Still keeping the 3900DX Pro for a backup. The Coinmaster Classic III was a good detector and I was finding more clad coins and a few more silver coins than the previous couple of years. After 6 or 7 years with the Classic III old coins were very, very scarce at the parks and schools I was searching. I tried some other areas and they were lacking in the older targets also.Detecting was not as fun anymore due to not finding those older coins. In 2003 I think I detected probably 3 times the whole year, and then soon after, the detectors found their way into a closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment