Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Some of my favorite outings-

One of my favorite detecting outings, years ago in the late 1980's, was with the Whites dealer who owned the small Trading Store in the old Chuck Wagon burger building. On a Sunday morning, his wife, him and I went over to the library close by, and started detecting the ground. I had been learning my Whites 3900DX Pro for a few months, while he brought a Whites 4900, his wife had a Whites 2500, beginners model. The library was built in 1961 and I don't think it had ever been detected before.

There were loads of wheat pennies, Buffalo and Jefferson nickels and only a few silver dimes and a few silver quarters. Since this library was used after school by the 3 schools( elementary, Jr. High, and Sr. High) each less than a mile away, there were also handfuls of clad coins ...some just laying just under the grass on top of the dirt. His wife was lucky and found a small silver ring along a sidewalk and I dug a man sized silver ring in the middle of the grass area. I think we were there, between 3 and 4 hours before we all got tired of digging so many targets. It was almost constant the whole time and only a few trash items were dug.

It was very fun to find lots of older coins and compare with the other detectorists, what we had dug up.

1 comment:

  1. Remember those days vividly.....sadly they becoming few and far between anymore.

    ReplyDelete