Monday, October 15, 2012

My Detecting Story--part 5

Over the years my younger brother had borrowed my detector a few times to look for a specific lost item or to try out metal detecting. In the fall of 2006 he was interested in getting his own, and started to research detectors. He told me of a local based detecting forum ( DirtJournal.com) and after reading posts of some of the finds local guys were making, it got me interested again. I joined the forum, and as I had 2 old detectors I dusted them off and put new batteries in them and started to refamiliar my self with them. My younger brother went with me on a few searches, and then he had decided on which detector he wanted, and bought a slightly used one. It made me want a newer model, so I researched and in January 2007, I bought a Whites M6 (#11) and some accessories.

Whites M6
 I tested it in my yard and dug up some silver coins and a few wheats. I had thought my yard was all hunted out !!!

I liked the M6 so much, I researched more detectors and located a used Whites IDX (#12) on ebay and bought it. It was very similar to the older Coinmaster Classic III, as it had all the same controls but also had a target ID screen. Within a few months the old Whites 3900 and the Classic III were sold on ebay and I used that money to get a few more accessories for my new detectors. I even dug a silver quarter in my yard with the IDX. With the newer detectors detecting was fun again !!!!

Whites IDX


The local forum was begining to grow a little bit, with more local and non-local members joining up. Some group hunts were organized, and detecting with new friends was very nice. With the 2 more modern detectors, I began finding older coins that I thought were long gone. Searching my old hunting areas produced coins a bit deeper in the ground and in the totlots in parks and schools I began finding lots of gold plated rings. Within 2 years time I had dug many plated rings, and the other locals on the forum and that I hunted with, started calling plated junk rings "Robbie Rings".


Well-------If something is going to be named after you--- it might as well be something gold....even if it is gold plated.

No comments:

Post a Comment