Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Detecting Start

(Yes this is a old picture of me)Way back in 1969 after 5 years of silver coins being out of pocket change I was looking through a Popular Science magazine. There was an ad to find treasue in the ground by using a metal detector. Being a coin collector and trying to finish a collection of Mercury Dimes, I decided to call the company in the ad. By chance they were in Houston and only about 1 mile from my house, so I went to see what they had. I got a catalog and spent days looking it over trying to decide on which one to buy. After trying a few out at the store, I bought one. A Relco Frontiersman ( BFO type) with a small and large coil in the wooden box.

The salesman gave me instructions on how to use it and off I went in search of buried treasures. After a few days of searching and only finding junk, I stopped at the store to see what the problem was. I wasn't setting the detector correctly and after being shown how to set it....off I went again. I started finding wheat cents, Indian head cents Buffalo Nickles, V-nickels and after my first of many silver coins--------I was hooked !!!!!!!!!( These only had a depth of about 3 inches--which was considered deep back then.)

It seemed like every park and school I searched had hundreds of old coins. After some years of finding nice old coins, I found another detecting store in town and upgraded to a better detector, an old Bounty Hunter Red Baron,VLF/TR. I had much better finds and deeper. I could find coins at 5-6 inches deep. My coin collection was growing.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, dealers in Houston. Had to have been either Van Fossen or Alexander Enterprises. You too were lucky to know the good ole days.

    Looking forward to your future posts.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Van Fossen. I bought at least 4 detectors from him when he had his shop.

    Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a very close friend of van's. One of the original founders of Research and Recovery. I did the drawing that we used as our logo. I am wondering what might have happened to Vans collection, I did have in my possession a Bowie knife that he found in Mexico and later purchased, Thanks, Mike

    ReplyDelete